04 June 2010

Inspiration: Samuel Flores


Sam Flores is a wicked artist based in San Fran but originally from New Mexico.


With roots stemming from skateboarding and graffiti culture, he paints big-handed figures, sometimes masked but always serene, the objects around their heads suggesting thoughts or dreams.



Accompanied by amped-up traditional Japanese street scenes, birds, butterflies and flowers, Sam's girls (they are usually female) are stunningly beautiful with classic graffitiesque proportions of exaggerated hands and feet, their heads almost always bowed as if in prayer.


His self-titled hardcover book, out under the Upper Playground / Fifty24SF banner has been gracing my coffee table for weeks and I can't bring myself to put it back on the bookshelf. Every time I flip through it I'm inspired by his style.


No comments:

Post a Comment